Devlog - week 3, 4 and 5 of 52
231 words, ~0 min read
I spent too much time rethinking the organization of the websites. This is an unacceptable yak shaving for an alpha-state project.
I switched from Git and Codeberg to Pijul and Nest. Some reasons are:
- Pijul supports merges and forks of a codebase in a better way respect Git, because it remembers the merge operations done. This feature fits well with the ADR-004: Favors branching and forking of Dokmelody.
- I want to learn Pijul, and maybe I like to use Pijul “theory of patches” into some parts of Dokmelody system, for managing the forks of data between different communities.
- There are future plans, for a self-hostable Nest. Something like Fossil.
- Nest has also a “discussion” section.
I’m using DITA for Dokmelody documentation. The reasons are:
- navigation in documentation is very easy
- favours the use and reuse of chunks of information
I switched to MIT License. The reasons are described in ADR-003: Use MIT and CC-BY-4.0 licenses:
I decided to use a redo build system, respect a traditional “make-like” approach. A make-file is essentially a bottom-up specification of how to build the system starting from initial source files. A “redo” approach is a top-down specification of how to build a product, checking if some parts do not need an update. This approach is more similar to normal code, because every part of a build is like a function that can call other functions.